In my last newsletter, I wrote about WhatsApp based targeted attacks. This story suddenly became a big thing in India when it was made public that many Indian lawyers, activists were also targeted. It is also very clear that the attack was directed by some government agency focusing on selected Indian citizens. Now many Indian news sites are talking about digital security, but not many are asking questions to the government. Without any law related to data protection and privacy of Indian citizens, this kind of surveillance by the government will only increase with time.
If you also remember the cyber attack on the Indian Nuclear power plant, now a group of South Korean malware analysts are claiming North Korea was behind the attack. The power plant though first denied any issues and then later had to admit about the attack.
Links to read
- Pegasus user guide Just in case you want to know more about the spyware tool used in the WhatsApp attack
- Malware analysis resources for beginners
- Equifax breach, insider story
- Chrome zero day
- Attacking Alexa and Google home via lasers More details can be found at https://lightcommands.com/
- Ownership in Rust
Videos to watch
- From Prison to Python Shadeed Wallace-Stepter
- To **** With Passwords! Jacob Kaplan-Moss on passwords
- Pycon 2015 keynote Jacob Kaplan-Moss
If you want to discuss any of these topics, hop on to the Freenode server (IRC), and come to the #learnandteach channel. Also, please share about the newsletter in your favorite social media as this is still a very new thing from me.